November 9, 2017

Why I Love Being Married to a Chemist

Why I Love Being Married to a Chemist
by Barbara Crooker

Because he can still cause a reaction in me
when he talks about SN2 displacements,
amines and esters looking for receptor sites
at the base of their ketones.


Because he lugs home serious tomes like The Journal of the American
Chemical Society
or The Proceedings of the Society
of the Plastics Industry
, the opposite of the slim volumes
of poetry with colorful covers that fill my bookshelves.
 
Because once, years ago, on a Saturday before our
raucous son rang in the dawn, he was just standing there in the bathroom, 

out of the shower. I said Honey, what's wrong? and he said Oh,
I was just thinking about a molecule
.

Because he taught me about sublimation, how
a solid, like ice, can change straight to a gas
without becoming liquid first. 


Because even
after all this time together, he can still
make me melt.