December 10, 2014

A Belief System

The characteristic I still struggle with is the first characteristic, my belief system. I have become more aware of these beliefs over the years, but occasionally, they still sneak up and bite me. Whenever I am struggling with achieving a goal or just performing up to my potential, I usually find a limiting belief lurking in some corner of my mind. Sometimes, these are surprising.

For example, up until last January, I was really struggling with being consistent in my strength training. I kept starting and re-stopping. I would alternate between thinking, “This is hard” and “I don't need any help; I can do this myself.” (My four-year-old grandson Ben says this all the time.)

I said, “Wait a minute. This is not that hard, but I DO need help.” As a result, I hired a fitness trainer to work out with me twice a week. That was the difference-maker. Suddenly, I got consistent and started making real progress at the gym. Now he's working with me three days a week.

I realize that not everyone can afford to hire a trainer, but, if you share my limiting belief, you can always afford to get outside help. In fact, you can't afford NOT too! It might be simply a friend to hold you accountable or working out with a group of friends, or listening to podcasts or reading books that inspire you. But the truth is you can't usually accomplish big goals on your own. You need help.

So my belief system is my biggest challenge.